The Diary Of A Peasant...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Diary Of A Peasant...

Post by sipahioftheporte on 2008-04-20, 17:13

This was my first story at the .com... It is about a young man's (John Shackford) struggle to break his destiny in the middle ages... It takes place in normandy (for now)... I had abandoned it since I was spending too much brain for the 2 swords. But maybe I may continue it these days.. I gotta get my writing skills unrusted... So, here you go, I hope you all like it...
p.s. I may post a map later to make it easy to understand. and I'll fix any type of mistake later...

Last edited by sipahioftheporte on 2008-04-20, 17:15; edited 1 time in total
sipahioftheporte
Beardlord
Beardlord

Number of posts : 3398
Registration date : 2008-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Diary Of A Peasant...

*PART I - Breaking My Destiny...

Once upon a time… In an age of constant battles and unrest, our story begins in the hillfort of Caen… I hope you object lessons from my story…

If you ask me, I do not have much to say about myself... What would you expect from a humble farmer? To make a brief explanationabout myself; well, I was born in a village near Caen. My name is John Shackford, son of a Cornish farmer -Elliott Shackford- who had migrated to Caen during the peace times... To talk straight I lived all my life in misery. And this story is about my struggle to get rid of it... I have done all the jobs available, including being force-worked in the newly built communal farmland and building roads. But I was determined that my life wasn't goingto end in a barn covered with pig faeces...

I allways waited for an opportunity and one day as I was ploughing the wheat field as usual I saw a striders silhouette from afar… I emmidiately ran to the village to know who this suspicious traveler was… strangers weren't common on these parts so the stranger had him surrounded emmidiately with curious eyes... Once he uncovered his cloak I realized from his mail armour that he was a lieutenant captain serving the army. Without wasting time he opened a leather scroll and started reading it… I don't remember exactly what he said but I remember clearly that the edict was composed in gifted hands… Briefly he said that his highness the King needed men to join the army against the war on coward French invaders. Many fellow villagers seemed convinced by the epic fashion of the edict and I myself had my nationalistic feelings bloated out when I listened to his speech and decided to join the army like many others…

I didn't know where I was going and what I was goingto do but since I didn't have a better life I had no options but to join. So I farewelled to my little village hoping never to come back. I was determined to get rid of this misery or die trying…
sipahioftheporte
Beardlord
Beardlord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

*PART II - In Caen…

After a full day march we atlast saw the towers and flags of the shabby fort of Caen… While marching to the Gates we passed from a road with farmers working at the surrounding fields… Some had afflicted faces which had a mere pity on the eyes while others were chuckling and I could nearly say that those smiles were the result of mockery… Suddenly I had a feeling that my campaign was not as glorious as I thought…

With all these thoughts in my mind we had reached the gates… I could see people, lots of people with pickaxes and oars digging a moat around the walls… Supposedly prisoners because they were chained to eachother….With a swearful yell of the captain the newly made gatebridge started lowering with a molesting screech… Finally we managed to get in the fort… People were rather busy in here, some of them were rolling barrels, you could hear the sounds of hammers beating hot metal on anvils, the clashing of swords from the barracks, the shouts and dirty jokes of the new recruits and their captains swearings to get them back to order…

Anyways, they piled us in an open space and gave us some bread, which was a hard thing to find at this season… Though there were some whisperings about the maggoted breads, everyone looked fine with it…Then they lined us infront of the armoury nearby and randomly handed us some hay-forks and knives… I was surprised since I atleast expected a uniform and a decent sword and maybe a buckler if I was lucky… But they gave us these rusty craps! I told to myself "Even my own hay-fork was better then this useless thing!" I regretted I didn't take it with me… They gathered us to the courtyard of the city and devided us in 75men groups each… Luckily I wasn't seperated from my best friends William Tellatale and Llewelyn. Llewelyn was a tall and strong guy, nobody knew his surname and there's little known about his past… What we know out of unreliable rumours is that he was a welsh blacksmiths son who had to run away from his hometown because of his crimes…

After getting seperated in teams we were dismissed…People from the same villages sat together at the bottom of the walls, some gnawing their breads, some making jokes to their friends with their new weapons (!) and some complaining quietly about the conditions… As a whole, when I look at this portrait I see a bunch of useless men rather then soldiers, a bunch who don't know what to do…
sipahioftheporte
Beardlord
Beardlord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sipahioftheporte on 2008-04-20, 17:14

PART III - On The Road Again…

…It was the third night of our march under the eternal gray sky accompanied by the howl of the wolves and our feet making love with the freezing mud. While marching continuously during the dark half of the day, we only had time to rest in the mornings. And it generally consisted of a couple of hours. At day we marched straight through forests. It is extremely hard to move in these dense forests and they make me scared and nervous since childhood. We had to walk in lines with our captains in the front cutting the vines, branches and thorns with their swords. Most of my body got scratched and my legs were bleeding badly. I heard that a man in the group behind us had lost his eye by a thorn. Some of us couldn't resist anymore and they cried for others to wait while their knees fell to the ground. But no one waited for the fallen. Only God knows what happened to them later…

I wasn't able to feel my toes anymore except for the blood pressure in my veins. Many of us had flu and many others had fever. But the captains seemed to disregard the situation and continue marching. They seemed to be focused on the destination. There was no information, there were only orders. What was so important and worth this hurry?

Darkness slowly surrounded the horizon. Most of the men got happy because they didn't have to march in the forest anymore. After an hour of march we saw lights in the cloud of darkness. They were twinkling as if they were coming from heaven. And the Captains obviously started speaking with eachother more frequently.
No body could tell where we were, since we had just came out of the forest and it was dark as coal… As we marched in the dark, our eyes at the twinkling lights William said "hey John… uhm some of the men alleged that they heard the name 'Vimoutiers' while the captains were talking… what do you think?" I remember Vimoutiers from my fathers stories. He used to go to the little town for some grain exchange… Why were we going there?? I just looked at Williams face with an empty expression as an answer. He didn't seem to be surprized by my response…
sipahioftheporte
Beardlord
Beardlord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RedAkbar on 2008-04-21, 13:23

I remember this story was in Fan Fiction just after I joined. Nostalgic Very Happy

Admin - Beardlord
Admin  -  Beardlord

Number of posts : 1187
Registration date : 2008-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top