Something That Caught My Eye.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Something That Caught My Eye.

Post by Strohble on 2008-04-16, 14:56

The following is an excerpt from a novel I'm reading called "The Unquiet" by John Connolly. It really struck me in the simplicity of description yet it tells so much about a very minor character that the lady in question stuck in my mind for a while. I like to write down passages that stick with me and just thought I'd share it.

"Out of politeness, I knocked on the glass door before entering. It seemmed like the Olde Worlde thing to do. Nobody answered, so I opened the door and entered. There was a low wooden counter to my left. Behind it was a large desk, and behind the large desk was a large woman with a pile of black hair balanced precariously on her head like dirty ice cream on a cone. She was wearing a bright green blouse with frills at the neck, and a necklace of yellowing imitation pearls. Like everything else there, she looked old, but age had not dimmed her affection for cosmetics or hair dye, even if it had deprived her of some of the skills required to apply both without making the final effect look less like an act of vanity than an act of vandalism. She was smoking a cigarette. Given the amount of paper surrounding her it seemed an almost suicidal act of bravado, as well as indicatingan admirable disregard for the law, even for someone who worked for a lawyer."
Strohble
Admin - Beard-at-arms
Admin  -  Beard-at-arms

Number of posts : 2123
Registration date : 2008-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Something That Caught My Eye.

Post by Seleukos of Olympia on 2008-04-16, 15:38

brilliant description!

Seleukos of Olympia
Admin _- Beard-at-arms