The Family of Brutus

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Family of Brutus

Post by Volksie on 2008-04-07, 06:34

Okay. I'm gonna post a story inspired from when i played Rome as the Brutii family. It won't be a long long story. I have these four sections and then there will be another four to come at an undetermined point in time. This is all unedited and feedback is appreciated.

-------------------------------------

265 BCE Summer- Titus

The hot summer sun and cool ocean breeze brushed lightly on Titus’ face. His legs were still shaky after the boat trip and he focussed his eyes on the horizon to try and steady himself. The waves were not kind to Titus’ stomach. Steady land was all that Titus desired and even though he stood on the shore he still felt as if they were rolling on the ocean.

Decius Brutus walked up the sand to where his brother stood and looked at him for a moment. Titus continued to stare out to the horizon. Decius watched his gaze for a moment before giggling foolishly, a habit which ill-suited his massive build.

“Are you sick again, brother?” Decius said and jabbed him in the stomach.

Titus hit his hand away and Decius strode off to watch the rest of the men landing on the shore. After many minutes the sickness Titus felt faded from his body and he called out orders to groups of soldiers to make ready for the march ahead.

The few horses brought on the trip were being brought ashore and Titus aided the men as Aurous, his stead, was led onto the sand. Titus took the reins and walked her off the sand and up to the grass where Cassius and Decius already held their horses. The three brothers mounted and waited until the last of the men were ready to march before taking the head of the column.

Titus Brutus was a well-built man, as were all of the four Brutus brothers, and held considerable command talent. However, Cassius, being the eldest of the three present, had naturally taken command; the old days from when they had all been young together coming through when they were older. If Amelius had not already been in Thermon then he would have been most likely leading the column of soldiers.

“It is only three hours before it becomes dark,” Titus stated to Cassius.

“We will stop when the mountains are in sight,” Cassius told his younger brother. “Then we will head south for Thermon.”

“Is it true what the reports say?” Decius asked from the other side of Cassius. “Do the Corinthians also rally against us?”

“Amelius says it is so,” nodded Titus. “Perhaps it is time for him to cease his pursuit of Kleomenes.”

Cassius and Decius did not respond. Titus could tell they were thinking of Portia’s death. Titus sighed. Was he the only realistic one in his family?

“Listen,” Titus said forcefully. “Amelius has gone battle-mad. There is no proof Kleomenes is responsible.”

“Quiet, Titus!” Cassius hissed and glanced back at the soldiers behind him, hoping they did not hear. “If Amelius says Kleomenes is responsible then he is responsible!” Cassius turned away from his younger brother and talked quietly to Decius, the youngest brother.

It had always been this way. The sun burned down on Titus’ neck and as the column moved at a snail’s pace he drifted into a daydream; Aurous keeping him steady. Soon the colours faded from Titus’ vision and new noises filled his ears.

“Titus!” a soft feminine voice called from far away and gradually became more real. “Titus!”

“Mother,” Titus called back.

“Titus, where are your brothers?”

“They went down to the river. They said I had to stay behind.”

“Are Cassius and Amelius teasing Decius again?”

“No mother. They wanted to show him something. They wouldn’t tell me what.”

“Well if you see them before me tell them I am not happy. You are all meant to have lessons now. You run along now, Titus.”

“Titus?” a harsh male voice interjected and snapped Titus from his daydream. “Titus?” Cassius said angrily. “Are you listening to me?”

“Sorry, brother,” Titus shook his head to wake himself. “I was in the past.”

“I said that we will stop soon. Thermon is less than a day’s march away and I want the men well rested before we break the siege.”

Last edited by Volksie on 2008-04-07, 06:37; edited 1 time in total
Volksie
Admin - Beardlord
Admin  -  Beardlord

Number of posts : 2526
Registration date : 2008-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Family of Brutus

Post by Volksie on 2008-04-07, 06:35

271 BCE Winter- Amelius

Amelius held the banner of his family high and the people cheered heartily. Music was playing loudly as Cornelius Brutus placed a wreath upon his young son’s head and the cheering began again. Drink was passed around and Amelius stood with a smile spread wide across his handsome face. The dining hall of the Brutus’ home was filled to the brim with over a hundred invited guests and honorary dignitaries; all there to see the eldest son of Cornelius Brutus in his moment of triumph.

Cornelius and his son stepped down from the raised platform and joined the general festivities. Amelius was crowded from all sides by people giving congratulations and praise. He was met in the crowd by Cassius and the two embraced.

“Your fame will spread quickly, brother,” Cassius called out above the din of celebration.

“Soon you will be along side me,” Amelius laughed and patted Cassius on the back. Cassius laughed with his brother and moved off into the crowd. Titus was next to find his eldest brother.

“Congratulations, Amelius,” said Titus stiffly. “Enjoy your night.”

“Lighten up, Titus!” Amelius called out. “You cannot grieve over minor casualties in war. Where is Decius?”

“Outside, brother. He said he could not breathe in here.”

“I will go find him.”

Amelius pressed through the crowd and embraced others who congratulated him on his victory. Eventually he came to the door and slipped out into the cold night. The wind cut through his robes and he shivered. The courtyard was still and empty and Amelius peered into the night in search of Decius. He could not see his brother through the trees but made his way through them in search. About to give up, he came across Decius under a tree.

“You do not wish me congratulations?” Amelius asked the figure sitting near him in the dark.

“Do you want me to, brother?” Decius asked without looking at Amelius.

“Yes. You will have a victory one day, today is mine and you will wish me congratulations.”

“Congratulations, brother,” Decius said weakly. Amelius smiled.

“Will you come inside?” asked Amelius.

“It is too crowded, I cannot breathe in there.”

Amelius peered at the outline of his youngest brother and felt a surge of contempt rise within him.

“Weakling!” Amelius shouted and kicked the figure under the tree. “You’re worthless.” With another kick to the unresisting body he turned on his heel and marched back towards his celebrations.

Decius wept silently in the dark.

Last edited by Volksie on 2008-04-07, 06:37; edited 1 time in total
Volksie
Admin - Beardlord
Admin  -  Beardlord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

260 BCE Winter- Cassius

The bloodied battle field was a horrific sight to see and even the seasoned veterans felt sick to their stomachs. Cassius wandered the battlefield in search of a horse, a blank veil over his eyes. His mind drifted but his legs continued to carry him. Without realising it, Cassius had stopped near to a large brown war-horse, standing dutifully by the edge of the field.

With a shake of his head to clear his mind Cassius lifted his weight up onto the horse and turned towards the woods into which his older brother had chased the routing Greeks; Decius in pursuit of him.

Branches scratched his face and arms but he ignored the pain and turned the horse to the sounds of movement in the trees ahead. A noise drifted through the trees from far away and Cassius pulled the horse up short to listen carefully. The noise was indistinct but for some reason the sound formulated in Cassius’ mind as the shouts of someone in trouble.

Fearing for his brothers’ safety he spurred his horse on and quickly smashed aside the overhanging branches. Amelius’ rage had reached unpredictable heights during the battle and Cassius feared his headlong surge after the Greeks had gotten him into danger.

The sound came again and Cassius could make it out now; the sound of a human howling as a wolf does when in great pain. It sent shivers down Cassius’ spine but he had cast aside any fears he had long before; loyalty to his brothers taking the place of fear.

Both horse and rider burst out of the trees and Cassius pulled on the reins tightly. A shower of sticks and dirt flew about the place as the hooves dug into the ground. A figure was bent over double in the clearing; another lying on the ground. Cassius raised his arm to his face and his face twisted in revulsion. The horse whinnied in terror. The contents of Cassius’ stomach spilled onto the ground at the sight he saw.

Last edited by Volksie on 2008-04-07, 06:38; edited 1 time in total
Volksie
Admin - Beardlord
Admin  -  Beardlord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

277 BCE Summer- Decius

Decius’ legs ached as he tried to keep up with Cassius and Amelius. They were far ahead and were laughing and jeering at him as he tried to keep in pace with the older boys. Decius was glad when he saw the river snaking through the next field and Cassius and Amelius drinking from its waters.

Decius pulled up next to his older brothers and fell to his knees. He scooped up water hungrily. Still puffing and panting and with his full stomach groaning in protest Decius fell back from the water and choked. Cassius and Amelius laughed as he threw up his breakfast onto the shores. When he recovered and stood up on his shaky legs, Cassius and Amelius were sitting on the grass.

“Why couldn’t Titus come?” Decius asked curiously.

“We had something important to show you,” Amelius replied mysteriously.

“And Titus is a total bore. Leave him to his lessons,” added Cassius.

Decius nodded as if he understood and drank from the river again, this time slowly though. Cassius turned to Amelius and raised his eyebrows in a question.

“What?” Amelius asked.

“So are you going to explain to me why we’re here yet?”

“Teach Decius how to swim,” said Amelius simply.

“He knows how to swim,” Cassius scratched his head.

Decius turned from the river and walked back to his brothers.

“It was good of you two to bring me here,” Decius said weakly, clearly exulted by his inclusion though.

“Good,” Amelius laughed but there was no humour in it.

Decius’ stomach felt odd as he watched his eldest brother get to his feet. He walked past Decius down to the river and beckoned him to follow. When they reached the water Amelius placed his hand on Decius’ neck firmly. Before Decius could react he threw Decius into the water and leapt after him; crashing into the recently placid water.

Decius spluttered as the water swirled around him. He found the bottom of the river and got to his feet, wiping his hair from his eyes only to see Amelius advancing towards him.

“Amelius,” Decius said, fear evident in his eyes. “What are you doing?”

“I’ll teach you to say bad things about me, you stinking rat!” Amelius yelled and grabbed Decius by the neck again. He plunged the boy’s face down into the water and held it there as Decius’ limbs crashed about wildly.

“Amelius!” Cassius shouted from the shore, fear in his voice too.

Amelius didn’t hear him. He was shouting obscenities to the heavens as he pulled Decius back out of the water for a breath of air and then plunging him back down again.

“Amelius!” Cassius shouted again, advancing a few steps towards the river. Fear of his brother consuming him. “Stop Amelius! He’s your brother!”

“You rat! I will kill you if you talk about me again! I will be great!” Amelius’ face had turned red.

Decius only half heard the shouts of Amelius and Cassius. Spots drifted before his eyes as the strength in his body left him and the water filled his body. He could barely move his limbs anymore when the grip on his neck loosened and Amelius fell into the water beside him. Cassius had tackled him and was yelling into his ear to stop.

Decius pushed up from the bottom of the river bed and struggled to his feet. A glance at his older brothers fighting in the water was all he took before he struggled to the shore and, despite the pain his entire body was feeling, he ran for home.
Volksie
Admin - Beardlord
Admin  -  Beardlord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RedAkbar on 2008-04-07, 09:06

I like it. The setting works well, and I like the way the story is broken into the four brothers' views. Keep it up, I'll be reading!

Admin - Beardlord
Admin  -  Beardlord

Number of posts : 1187
Registration date : 2008-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seleukos of Olympia on 2008-09-01, 15:25

Whatever happened to this story? Is the "undetermined point in time" still something to look forward to, or have you forgotten about it?

Seleukos of Olympia
Admin _- Beard-at-arms
Admin _-  Beard-at-arms

Number of posts : 2964

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Volksie on 2008-09-01, 15:30

Oh Sel! I had been trying to forget about it because I have so much to do and I've been wasting so much time already. I promise, absolutely promise, to finish it in about three weeks time because I have a very large lump of assessment due very soon.
Volksie
Admin - Beardlord
Admin  -  Beardlord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seleukos of Olympia on 2008-09-01, 15:37

Ok. I just randomly noticed it and remembered that it was incomplete. Smile

Seleukos of Olympia
Admin _- Beard-at-arms