2080 Discussion thread

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2080 Discussion thread

Post by Alexios Komnenos on 2008-02-20, 17:55

That's what I'm saying Raja - everybody has the capability to make a similar technologically advanced vehicle, in similar numbers.

And, as you can see, the Russians have decided to spend their money on the Surface to air and surface missile umbrella and a new type of tank and AK rifle.
Alexios Komnenos
God-Emperor of the Fora

Number of posts : 4986
Registration date : 2008-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexios Komnenos on 2008-02-20, 17:56

What about the U.N. army? What shape are they in? I assume they have a large amount of good but outdated U.S. technology in their armies, and a decent airforce and navy.
Alexios Komnenos
God-Emperor of the Fora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seleukos of Olympia on 2008-02-20, 18:01

Yeah, we need Kasey on this. Nimitz-class supercarriers would still be exceptional power projectors if the UN can refit them and support them. The US Air Force would have left hundreds of aircraft, state of the art in 2040, to the UN, and the same goes for other branches. If the UN rekindled part of the US's defense industry, it would be have a very potent military.

Seleukos of Olympia
Admin _- Beard-at-arms
Admin _-  Beard-at-arms

Number of posts : 2964
Registration date : 2008-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-20, 18:08

mainly the Khalifat has invested in (a) advanced AFV technologies - resulting in advanced speed, counter-measures, and offensive weaponry, and (b) advanced technologies for its ground-attack aircraft - which include advanced counter-measures, and offensive capabilities.

the Navy is rather behind, though we can deploy our advanced multi-purpose missile from ground and sea based platforms.

As for technology, we have a fair bit that was confiscated from the Israelis when the Khalifat annihilated it - although a fair bit had been demolished...

our major weakness is industrial capacity, which would be hard-pressed to make up for heavy losses (to heavy equipment at least) in the event of a protracted war of attrition.

"I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze."
"I feel like a pig shat in my head."
Raja Sagan the Caker
Minister of Icing - Beard-at-arms - Demigod - Admin

Number of posts : 4869

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-20, 18:11

@sel, there is a major problem w/ the US military though. the economy crashed in 2020 which means that any major programmes after that date would have been slashed (so teh remnants of the US Armed Forces would be what would be in current future projections up to the year 2020 - which i'm sure you could find somewhere - plus vast quantities of current-era military hardware).

they would have state of the art from 2020, not 2040 Wink

Raja Sagan the Caker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seleukos of Olympia on 2008-02-20, 18:14

True. Unless they slashed their military size and upgraded what they were left with, opting for quality over quantity.

Let's settle for state of the art 2030? Smile

Seleukos of Olympia
Admin _- Beard-at-arms
Admin _-  Beard-at-arms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-20, 18:18

i suppose, although considering the magnitude of the collapse (they weren't even able to resist the UN!) they'd likely be mothballing / decomissioning huge segments of their armed forces after 2020 - futuristic weapons platforms would likely be far beyond their capabilities...

Raja Sagan the Caker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seleukos of Olympia on 2008-02-20, 18:25

Good point. I had forgotten they had gone into economic collapse so soon.
By the way, do we have any solid figures for the populations of all functioning states in 2080?

Seleukos of Olympia
Admin _- Beard-at-arms
Admin _-  Beard-at-arms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-20, 18:46

I think China is the only one that i know of at 420 million, we should likely compile a list based on simple demographics projections to c2040 followed by subtractions of 65%-80% based roughly on population density, and wealth/sanitation.

i think i'll do that now actually...

Raja Sagan the Caker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-20, 19:32

Okay thought i'd do the population projections for the various major states in 2080

Populations of Major States - 2080CE

US/UN: 100 million (N America/Africa), 360 million (India)*

Russia: 120 million**

EU: 235 million

Caliphate: 200 million

China (OSPC): 420 million (520 million)

PSSC: 130 million

notes:

*this was a difficult figure to compile, outside of US/India populations it is largely an estimate
**this figure has been artificially increased by 50%

additionally, it should be noted that although the UN 'state' has a very great overall population - a gigantic proportion of it (30-50%) is virtually un-exploitable due to their living in vast squatter settlements and refugee camps.

Raja Sagan the Caker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-21, 11:25

just a question, with those population levels, why is it that Russia is capbable of just throwing people away?

i imagine that the EU has much less utilization of manpower than Russia, but w/ such a great disparity in numbers i think that they are more able to lose men - at least, if not materiel - than Russia (although of course heavy losses would be more acceptable to a Russian regime than a European one...)

Raja Sagan the Caker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeraaa on 2008-02-21, 11:44

Since most of EU nations have professional armies today, while Russia still relies heavily in conscripts, I assume that EU will have inferiority in numbers. But seeing in the map tat Murmansk Sunset is roughly the size of former USSR, I think the population must be larger than 120mil (but not by far, something like 190mil...). In addition, since Murmansk sunset most probably has inferior economy than EU, it's equipment won't be of the same quality. That's why EU vs M. Sunset is a quality vs quantity conflict imho...
Aeraaa
Ungodly Defenestrated

Number of posts : 1423
Registration date : 2008-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-21, 11:56

umm, aeraaa the population estimate for 'russia' is actually taken from (UN) data regarding russia + eastern europe (i thought kazakhstans population was too negligible to require inclusion) in 2040 - russia is currently going into demographic decline. The actual final estimate was ~80 million, i inflated the figure to 120 million so that the disparity would not be too great.

as to the professional armies, that was what i meant by "less utilization of manpower", however maintaining a larger army than the EU hurts Russia more than a similar sized force hurts the EU (especially w/ it's more advanced economy), a great part of it's wealth must come from oil and natural gas (interestingly virtually all the pipelines that lead out of Russia - and not to EU which i imagine have been shut down - run through the Caliphate, which should make for some interesting diplomacy/economics...).

also murmansk russia would have access to a considerable amount of advanced armoured technology (from before the crash/plague).

basically the demographic situation is such that it is already at a gret disadvantage compared to the EU, throwing away lives does not in any way help the situation...

also, i was thinking that each country should come up w/ a rough estimate of it's military size and budget...of course keep it realistic!!

Raja Sagan the Caker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeraaa on 2008-02-21, 12:28

Well, you're right about future Russian population, but we can imagine some methods for boosting up the total population. One method that came to my mind and may sound too "Redalertish" is if Murmansk sunset somehow became advanced in Cloning methods, and used it for enhancing their manpower. We are in 2080 after all, and many of today's moral taboos may have lifted. As for equipment, I don't say that the difference in quality of equipment should be that great. EU should have a minor advantage, which could be countered by Murmansk's numerical superiority. My opinion on both forces is something like that:

-Infantry. Better training for EU. Better secondary equipment. Primary equipment (eg rifles, grenades etc) almost the same. Superiority in numbers for Murmansk sunset (I've written 2 to 1 in favour of Murmansk in the sector of my character's resposibility)
-Tanks. Eu, better armor and firepower. Murmansk, better mobility, cheaper and easier to produce vehicles, probably able to use AT missiles as well.
-Artillery. Superiority of Murmansk. The weak point of EU army
-Air Forces. Superiority of Eu. The weak point of Murmansk. That's the reason for the Anti-Aircraft umbella.

I'll later post the strength of EU's 3rd Army Group, as I see it...
Aeraaa
Ungodly Defenestrated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-21, 12:39

also, i was thinking that the EU should likely have large problems w/ it's immigrant/refugee population ... perhaps even having to resort to things like concentration camps? kind of like the ones in Children of Men...

Raja Sagan the Caker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seleukos of Olympia on 2008-02-21, 12:42

Alexius, in his first post, mentioned that 100,000 more men from the east would eventually reinforce the expanding Russian front, but that they would be running out of steam soon after that. I think Russia is trying to gain enough of an advantage so it can negotiate a favourable peace once it has solidified its gains with the new missile shield. That's why it's throwing everything it's got into the fight. It has a numerical superiority right now, but there are few reserves and of low quality.

Europe has problems of its own, like the disparity between north (that was not hit hard by Orange Death) and south, and the differing political and economic factions bickering within it. Immigration could also be a problem, especially concerning relations with the Khalifat, as most non-European immigrants would be Muslim.

Seleukos of Olympia
Admin _- Beard-at-arms
Admin _-  Beard-at-arms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexios Komnenos on 2008-02-21, 13:16

First off, Russia would not nearly be affected by the plauge so bad as you say - look how much of Russia is not good ground for the spread of the plauge, as it is too cold. Maybe 30% of their population would be lost, but so long as they evacuated large population centers in the south, I think they could keep it pretty low.

Historically, the U.S.S.R./Russia has been able to call up large reserves of manpower. A figure like 190-200 million people would be better, and I wouldn't say that the Murmansk Sunset is throwing lives away - dispite the aura of a "meat-grinder" we must keep in mind that the '71 invasion has been going on for nine years, the occupation, decades.

The actual figures are much less, if taken over the long period of time they represent.

Also, I said that the population of Eastern Europe (minus Russia) was 1/5 of what it had been. I wasn't thinking of death, but immigration to the relative safty of Russia.
Alexios Komnenos
God-Emperor of the Fora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-21, 13:27

First off, Russia would not nearly be affected by the plauge so bad as you say - look how much of Russia is not good ground for the spread of the plauge, as it is too cold. Maybe 30% of their population would be lost, but so long as they evacuated large population centers in the south, I think they could keep it pretty low.

by that reckoning, much of the EU is both (a) outside of the climate range for optimal bacterial growth and dissemination, (b) has sufficient wealth, sanitization, and quarantine techniques to dramatically reduce the effectivess of orange death. this means that it's population also has to be artificially adjusted. the EU would thus have a population in the 300-400 million range...

and for russia, to expand the population to 190-200 million is an artificial increase of over 100%.

Raja Sagan the Caker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexios Komnenos on 2008-02-21, 13:36

Don't know what facts you're looking at, but modern Russia has a population of 235, not counting the Eastern European sector.

And Europe has the gulf stream to warm it. If all these arguments are somehow disproven, I still think it needs to be done as a literary device to even the playing field.
Alexios Komnenos
God-Emperor of the Fora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-21, 13:40

i meant artificial increase from the initial 2040 population minus plague deaths Smile

and the russian population in 2040 will be roughly the same (if not lower) than it is right now, compared to a EU population of 660 million.

russia has a lot of things in it's favour if it was attacked (as it always has), but an offensive war against the EU is unlikely to succeed...

perhaps it should gain an alliance w/ the OSPC? too bad no ones doing them...

(but yes, i suppose a post-plague population of 150-180 million would be best for the sake of balancing...although then again Russia does make a lot of money from oil and natural gas that EU doesn't really get)

Raja Sagan the Caker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-21, 14:27

Anyways, the military of the Caliphate:

Active Personnel: 1 630 000
Reservists: 7 860 000
Paramilitary: 620 000

Total: 10 110 000

Military Divisions:

Army Group 1 (Centre) - al-Qahirah

mobile force capable of deploying rapidly to any part of the empire, contains the elite unit of the Caliph Guard. under the direct command of the Minister of War.

Caliph Guards - 250 000 men, 6000 AFV's
3rd Armoured Division - 20 000 men, 2000 AFV's
7th Armoured Division - 22 000 men, 1200 AFV's
6th Infantry (Mech) Division - 40 000 men, 500 AFV's
8th Infantry (Mech) Division - 32 000 men, 200 AFV's

total: 364 000, 10 000 AFV's

Army Group 2 (East) - Tehran

maintains peace in the populous eastern half of the caliphate, maintains a large infantry force and is designed largely to combat guerrilla's and occupy cities. also maintains a large armoured force for offensive operations. under the overall command of the Military attache of the Emir of Persia.

Iranian Guards - 200 000 men, 4000 AFV's
1st Armoured Division - 20 000 men, 2000 AFV's
7th Infantry (Mech) Division - 50 000 men, 500 AFV's
12th Infantry Division - 46 000 men, 100 AFV's
15th Infantry Division - 48 000 men, 100 AFV's
Anti-Terrorism Operations Command - 80 000 men, 1000 LAFV's

Total: 444 000 men, 6700 AFV's, 1000 LAFV's

Army Group 3 (North) - Damascus

primary force in dealing with threats from the EU or Russia, is at a constant state of readiness and maintains a vigil over the Demilitarized border with Turkey Province. under the command of the highest ranking general of the army.

Caliph 2nd Division - 60 000 men, 6000 AFV's
Caliph 3rd Division - 40 000 men, 2000 AFV's
Caliph 4rd Division - 40 000 men, 2200 AFV's
2nd Armoured Division -22 000 men, 6000 AFV's
5th Armoured Division - 18 000 men, 5600 AFV's
4th Division - 38 000 men, 1600 AFV's
18th Division - 32 000 men, 1000 AFV's
22nd Division - 46 000 men, 1200 AFV's
43rd Airborne Division - 12 000 men
66th Airborne Division - 11 000 men
1st Special Forces Group - 15 000 men

Total: 334 000 men, 25 600 AFV's

these are the major active battle forces, the rest are scattered throughout the empire and perform duties restricted largely to anti-terrorism/paramilitary duties.

(L)AFV stands for (Light) Armoured Fighting Vehicle (although here the LAFV's have been mixed w/ the AFV's everywhere except the Anti-Terrorism Operations Command), and includes every armoured vehicle such as tanks, light/fast attack vehicles, mobile artillery, but exclude armoured personnel carriers.

Total of the 3 Army Groups: 1 142 000 men, 42 300 AFV's

I'll do the Air Force/Navy later...

edit - i got the top numbers by taking my present population/dividing it by 1000 and multiplying that number by a military personnel/1000 people number which i got from taking an overall average of the Middle East region (i used 8, which is rather a bit lower than many component states of the Caliphate - such as Iran, Pakistan, and Syria).

Raja Sagan the Caker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexios Komnenos on 2008-02-21, 14:30

180 million, I think, would be balanced enough. Any less and the casualties it suffers will be a incredibly big and unrealistic hit to it's population.
Alexios Komnenos
God-Emperor of the Fora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-21, 14:35

okay, it's just that i factored in MUCH higher plague deaths than 30%, even the EU took 65%, i gave Russia 68%. 50% would be alright though, and i suppose w/ refugees 180 million would not be entirely out of the question...

Raja Sagan the Caker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexios Komnenos on 2008-02-21, 14:37

Yeah, but people fled from hot areas to the north. Same goes with the E.U. - a lot more people live in Sweden, Norway and Denamark now. (not Finland, too much of a war zone)
Alexios Komnenos
God-Emperor of the Fora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seleukos of Olympia on 2008-02-21, 14:46

Nice overview of the Khalifat's military, Raja! Army groups 1 and 3 would be employed in a potential war against the EU, so Aeraaa'a estimate that the 400,000 men in his area of command were 2/3rds of the Khalifat's nearby forces was spot on!

Seleukos of Olympia
Admin _- Beard-at-arms
Admin _-  Beard-at-arms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeraaa on 2008-02-21, 15:03

Seems like our intelligence agency is doing its job well, eh Sel? Wink
Aeraaa
Ungodly Defenestrated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-21, 15:06

wow, that's an odd coincidence...

Raja Sagan the Caker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seleukos of Olympia on 2008-02-21, 15:08

European Intelligence is never wrong... Very Happy

Seleukos of Olympia
Admin _- Beard-at-arms
Admin _-  Beard-at-arms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexios Komnenos on 2008-02-22, 04:52

How many troops do you predict I have?
Alexios Komnenos
God-Emperor of the Fora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raja Sagan the Caker on 2008-02-22, 10:50

well you would have had about 1.3 million, not sure how many you've lost through casualties after 9/10 years of war...

also, if it's anything like 'old' russia than i imagine that you'd also have a sizeable force of very poor quality reservists (14-16 million) although whether you'd have equipment for all of them, and whether they'd be of much use in a proper war is debatable...

a large portion of this would likely have already been deployed, so you'd have to determine what portion of your reserve you've already deployed, come up w/ a timetable for the deployment of more reservists, and determine whether you have enough equipment - and what equipment that is - for all your reservists.

additionally, you might want to lower your overall number of reservists, as deploying them removes a massive portion of your working classes from productive economic tasks Smile

Raja Sagan the Caker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content