Roman Empire Story

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roman Empire Story

Post by Alexios Komnenos on 2008-03-22, 18:46

I felt like we needed a good Byzantium story, so here goes. Comments, both compliments and constructive critism, are welcomed.

Constantinople

Petals of flowers floated on a gentle breeze off of the Sea Marmara, falling gently onto the path of the triumphal precession, onto the fine rugs and cloths laid at the feet of the Imperial Army, which were trampled underfoot by the glorious precession, as it wound through the marble streets of Constantinople. Captured gold and silver were in such abundance that the very streets the army marched through could have been paved over with them. Everywhere, the citizens lined the streets, cheering and screaming their adulations and praise – praise the victors so greatly deserved.

The greatest part of this august precession was the Megas Domestikos who led it, sitting upon a regal throne of silver, carried by loyal servants. Before him marched the captured prisoners, paraded through the streets of the opulent city, subject to the jeers and torments of the crowd.

As the precession approached the Hippodrome, the crowds grew greater, as the elite aristocratic families and their hangers-on and servants had come to bid their well wishes on the victors, and celebrate the glorious victory, although they did so with little apparent joy. The precession dissipated at the imperial palace, where the Basileus stood, although diminished among the hulking Varangians, dressed in the purple vestments of office.

The successful Megas Domestikos, Nicephoros, and his attendants dismounted and bowed before the Basileus. “It is good to see you again, Constantine, my Basileus. Congratulations on your victories” He said, after prostrating himself before the sovereign.

“The same, Nicephoros.” The aging Basileus replied. “Come. Your strategoi will attend to the needs of the procession, and there is much to discuss.” He waved away the attendants who clustered around him, as he turned to leave.

“Indeed there is.” Nicephoros replied. He smiled faintly at that. “But I am weary of these politics. I beg you allow me to return home. I will return tomorrow morning.”

Constantine waved his purple-gloved hand. “It is no problem. I will wait.” He laughed. “It is but one night. It can wait.”

Nicephoros bowed again. “Thank you, my Basileus. Good-bye.” He turned and left. Constantine scowled and motioned for the palace door to again open. Attendants quickly complied and he walked slowly back into the cool interior of the palace. Inside, the waiting guards and officials of rank bowed low to him. He picked up his purple robes and retreated into his private chambers, however, not stopping to listen to the inquiries and intrigues of the eunuchs and officials. He was too old for such frivolities.

Nicephoros arrived at his villa in the Imperial metropolis, a relatively unadorned and comparatively spartan abode, late into the evening, when a blood-red sun barely still remained in the sky. A man, dressed in a dark cloak and tunic greeted him with a false smile. Nicephoros frowned. He knew this man, and knew no good could come of his arrival.

“What does our dear Emperor think now, now that you have triumphed over the Saracen and broken and scattered them? Now that their leaders are dead or captive, and Antioch fallen? Now that Rome is triumphant (no thanks to him) and you have redeemed yourself?” He asked.

Nicephoros sneered. “That remains to be seen… Ducas.” He spat the last word out.

“Treat me not to your disdain, oh Megas.” He replied. “Is it not enough for you to know that you have triumphed over me yet again and won the Basileus’ favor? You are superior, but please, do not gloat.”

Nicephoros could not hide his detest of the vermin who dared to call himself noble who stood before him. “Be silent, Isaac Ducas. I have nothing more to say to you, nor do you have anything worthwhile to say to me, though you may have an endless store of frivolous words and lies to sell.” He laughed humorlessly. “What do you want today, for surely you have not come simply to congratulate me on my victories?”

“Well, your servants would not give me any welcome, so I have been forced to wait outside for your arrival. I have a deal which might interest…”

“They gave you no welcome for you deserved none. Good-bye Ducas.” Nicephoros scowled. “Leave now. I have no reason to speak with you.”

“You may say that now, as the Basileus’ favorite, but favor is not eternal. It wanes, for the emotions of men are fickle, and they change at whim. It would do you best not to make enemies as liberally as you do.”

Nicephoros ignored him as he slammed the door behind him, entering his house. Ducas cursed, and mounted his horse and rode back through the labyrinthine streets. Nicephoros was happy to see him go.
Alexios Komnenos
God-Emperor of the Fora

Number of posts : 4986
Registration date : 2008-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roman Empire Story

Post by Alexios Komnenos on 2008-04-07, 17:43

Unstickied because I really don't have the time to make another story out of this, and want to devote more time to only have time for TGW, Pagan, and 2080
Alexios Komnenos
God-Emperor of the Fora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seleukos of Olympia on 2008-04-08, 04:19

I'd been trying to come up with an interesting patriarch character, but I'm lagging behind in The Greek Wars as it is. There's simply not enough care-free time to let the creative juices flow...

Seleukos of Olympia
Admin _- Beard-at-arms
Admin _-  Beard-at-arms

Number of posts : 2964
Registration date : 2008-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Volksie on 2008-04-08, 04:22

I know i said i'd join too but actual free time is still hard to come by even after i handed in my final assessment for this term.
Volksie
Admin - Beardlord
Admin  -  Beardlord

Number of posts : 2526
Registration date : 2008-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexios Komnenos on 2008-04-08, 04:25

That's my point. I just don't have time or enegry to do it.
Alexios Komnenos
God-Emperor of the Fora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top